Since its early beginnings, podcasting has been steadily growing in popularity. According to a study by Edison Research, over 40% of Americans age 12 and up have listened to a podcast while 67 million Americans listen to a podcast monthly.
Podcasting allows you to add a personal touch to your brand and connect with your audience on a more personal level. It also allows you to add diversity to the content on your blog. We’ve covered the basics of setting up a podcast with your WordPress website before and mentioned some of the plugins you can use to publish your podcast on your site.
But, in this post, we’ll take a look at the best podcasting plugins more in depth, discuss their pros and cons, and help you decide which plugin is the best choice for you.
Publishing your podcast on your WordPress blog is a great way to promote and share your show. Here are 7 of the best plugins that will help you integrate your podcast with your existing website.
PowerPress is a free plugin developed by Blubrry, a media hosting service. Even though PowerPress is packed with features, the plugin comes with a Simple and Advanced mode that makes it easy to start using it.
The Simple mode will walk you through getting your podcast episode published in 3 easy steps, which makes this option a perfect choice for beginners.
Once you know how the plugin works, you can switch to Advanced mode to explore and make use of the rest of features.
PowerPress will generate iTunes and Google Play supported RSS feeds so listeners can subscribe to your podcast.
The plugin comes with an integrated HTML5 Media Player, which not only makes it possible for your visitors to listen to your show on your site but it also supports embedding media from sites like YouTube.
Other notable features include:
- Useful SEO settings to increase your podcast’s discoverability in Google and the iTunes directory
- Multi-podcast support
- Free Blubrry Media Statistics in your WordPress dashboard
- Subscribe tools to create a subscribe page with a shortcode embed and sidebar widget
You can also import your podcast from other services or migrate from other plugins without losing any episodes and it can automatically detect episode duration and file size.
- Supports both iTunes and Google Play Music
- Simple and Advanced modes
- Support for variety of RSS and media formats
- Podcasting SEO features
- Easy migration and import
- Advanced statistics, which include country demographics and traffic sources are available only on paid plans
- No ability to style the players without the use of CSS
Price: Free with monthly subscription available for advanced statistics and episode downloads starting at $5/month.
2. Seriously Simple Podcasting
Like the name suggests, Seriously Simple Podcasting is an easy to use plugin with the basic features needed to get your podcast published. The Settings tab features an intuitive interface. All you need to do is tell the plugin which posts your podcast should appear in, where the player will be, input your podcast feed link, and you’re good to go.
You can run multiple podcasts from the same site, with a unique RSS feed for each podcast and see detailed stats about your podcast episodes using the plugin’s free stats add-on. This plugin also includes integrated media podcast hosting platform, so you can host your podcast media files on a dedicated platform, without leaving your WordPress dashboard.
Other features include:
- Support for all major podcasting platforms
- Shortcodes and widgets to display episode lists, single episodes, and playlists on any page or sidebar of your site
- Run multiple podcasts
- Free add-ons to showcase your speakers, provide listeners with downloadable transcripts, and more
- Shortcodes to embed all and single episodes to posts or pages
- Password protection for private podcasts
- No subscribe link below the audio player
- FastCGI needs to be disabled on your hosting server for password protection to work
Price: The plugin is completely free as well as various add-ons for player styling, transcripts download, speaker bios, and more.
3. Podlove Podcast Publisher
Podlove Podcast Publisher promises to deliver a cutting-edge experience for podcast publishers and makes it easy to create compatible podcast feeds with complete control over the podcast settings and audio player.
You can manage multiple podcasts on one site, including support for new and modern formats such as MP4 AAC, MP3, Vorbis, Opus, and others. The plugin also includes statistics for your podcast episodes and allows you to use any file hosting service to host your files.
Notable features include:
- Support for both audio and video podcasts
- Chapter support
- Flexible template system to style the player
- Handles modern audio and video formats
- Comes with integrated subscribe buttons below the player
- You have to upload the files individually rather than in bulk
- No option to fetch episodes from a podcast feed
4. LibSyn Podcasting Plugin
From the team behind LibSyn podcast hosting services, comes the LibSyn Podcasting Plugin. This plugin seamlessly integrates your LibSyn account with your WordPress website and allows you to create episodes, upload your existing audio files to LibSyn’s servers, publish your podcast episodes, and automatically generate RSS feeds for your podcast.
After the plugin installation, you’ll need to authorize the plugin by entering the Client Id and Secret to access its features.
Core features include:
- The ability to choose a style for your player
- Add download links below the player
- Control the width and the height of the player
- Your podcast episodes are available even if your website goes down
- Support for iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher
- No ability to customize the player
- Works with LibSyn only
Price: The plugin is free, however, it requires a paid service to be used which starts at $5/month.
5. Buzzsprout Podcasting
Similarly to LibSyn, Buzzsprout Podcasting plugin is best suited for those who are already using the Buzzsprout service to host their podcast episodes.
The plugin comes free with all paid Buzzsprout accounts and includes several player themes to choose from. You can also use Feedburner for your podcast URL, which means you have more control over your RSS feed.
If you’re already using a different podcast service, Buzzsprout plugin allows you to painlessly migrate to Buzzsprout’s hosting service through their migration assistant.
Other features include:
- A detailed walkthrough on submitting your podcast feed to iTunes
- Integrated podcast statistics
- Ease of use
- Hosting is free for first 90 days
- You can fetch and then embed episodes that have specific tags
- Works only with Buzzsprout accounts, however, they do offer a migration tool if you wish to migrate
- No option to display a subscribe link below the player
Price: Free with a paid Buzzsprout account for which the plans start at $12/month.
6. Simple Podcast Press
Simple Podcast Press is a premium plugin with a yearly license fee if you want to keep up with the latest updates. The plugin allows you to embed a beautiful player into your posts and pages. It also comes with the ability to automatically publish episodes to your WordPress site.
The podcast player is optimized for mobile devices and includes subscribe buttons as well as custom calls to action which can be used to insert any link on your site, your products, affiliate links, or even your email optin forms.
Other notable features include:
- Clickable timestamps
- Worldwide iTunes reviews
- Plugin integrates with Blubrry PowerPress plugin as well as Smart Podcast Player
- Supports all major podcast feeds such as LibSyn, SoundCloud, PodBean, Buzzsprout, Blog Talk Radio, and more
- Mobile Optimized player
- Automatic publishing
- There is no free option for the plugin
Price: Single site license is available for $67/year
7. Smart Podcast Player
Last on our list is the Smart Podcast Player by Pat Flynn. This is a premium plugin that allows you to embed your podcast RSS feed no matter where you host it and offers a whole slew of useful features designed to help you grow your podcast and provide your listeners with an exceptional experience.
The plugin has a detailed walkthrough that will help you to set up the plugin and it includes a mobile-optimized player with themes that can easily be customized to integrate with your site. Episodes can be embedded into your posts and pages with a click of a button in your post editor.
On top of that, the plugin includes features such as:
- Social sharing buttons
- The ability to set the listening speed
- Support for clickable timestamps
- Download links in the player
- Customizable mobile-friendly player
- Cross-browser support
- Inclusion of social sharing buttons
- Integration with Blubrry and SoundCloud
- Only supports .mp3 format
- Monthly or yearly subscription
- No statistics available
Price: Monthly plans start at $12/month, yearly subscription available for $8/month.
Which plugin should you choose?
The above plugins are all great options for integrating your podcast into your WordPress website. While they all have similar features, they also have some unique features that cater to both beginners and experienced podcasters alike. So how do you know which one to choose?
If you’re not sure whether podcasting is for you and just want to test it out as a means of reaching new audiences, signing up for Buzzsprout’s free plan and using their plugin makes the most sense.
But, if you’re serious about podcasting and just getting started, a plugin like PowerPress is a great choice. Paired with Blubrry hosting, it simplifies the entire process of making your podcast available on all major podcasting platforms and publishing episodes on your site.
Another great choice for beginners is Seriously Simple Podcasting as it doesn’t have a ton of features to overwhelm the complete beginners.
If you’re a more experienced podcaster and want to repurpose your content or make use of the multiple formats, then consider a plugin like Podlove Podcast Publisher.
Simple Podcast Press is a great choice for experienced podcasters who want to maximize each podcast episode and get access to advanced features that allows them to increase the size of their email list or promote their products. It’s certainly one of the more expensive options but it does offer some unique features that justify the cost.
LibSyn Podcasting plugin works best if you already use LibSyn for your podcast management. Out of all the plugins on this list, it’s a rather limited plugin with no ability to show statistics, or display a subscribe or download link. However, it’s worth mentioning that the plugin is still in public beta so it’s possible additional features will be introduced later.
Finally, consider the Smart Podcast Player if you want the ability to have more advanced features such as customizing the look of your player, having transcripts, and giving your listeners the ability to share your podcast episode on social media directly from the player. Keep in mind that the Smart Podcast Player is just a player so you will have to use your podcast hosting platform to get insights into stats.
Starting or running your own podcast is no easy task. Finding the time to come up with topics, recording them, and keeping your listeners engaged is enough to keep you occupied even without worrying about integrating your podcast into your site.
However, the plugins above greatly simplify the process of publishing podcast episodes on your WordPress website, whether you’re completely new to the podcasting scene or already have a few podcasting seasons under your belt.
Use the post above to help you decide which plugin is suitable for your needs and find the one that will keep your podcast running smoothly for all your listeners.